A fresh and filling quinoa and black bean salad, Mexican style.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 scallions, chopped finely
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans (540 mL), drained and rinsed, or 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 package (20g) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, cubed or sliced
- 10-15 kalamata olives, chopped
- Whole fresh cilantro for topping (optional)
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 4 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp salt (or less if desired)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until the water is absorbed, about 20 min.
- Refrigerate the cooked quinoa for 2 hours (or overnight).
- Combine the dates and water in a small bowl. Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds and puree thoroughly with a fork.
- Add in all other dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Combine quinoa and all salad ingredients except avocados and whole cilantro in a large bowl. Mix in the dressing.
- Serve topped with the avocado and fresh cilantro.