Both good-looking and refreshing, these cucumber rolls are filled with a tasty spicy-sweet white bean puree. It is best to prepare these rolls shortly before serving.
- 2 cups cooked or canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 5 dates
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- 3 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cucumber sliced very finely into ribbons using a vegetable peeler (do not peel the cucumber skins beforehand)
- 1 carrot, julienned into very thin sticks
- Dried parsley (optional)
- Pat the cucumber slices dry using paper towels to absorb as much water as possible.
- Cook the onion with the oil in a skillet over medium heat, until caramelized. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Cook the dates and water in the microwave, in a small microwave safe bowl, for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the dates to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Add the beans and garlic to the blender/processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the sambal oelek, paprika, lemon juice, olives, salt and pepper.
- Lay one cucumber slice flat and spread about 1 tbsp (more or less depending on the cucumber size) of bean puree over it, leaving around 1-2 inches at the end. Place a few carrot sticks at one end and roll it up starting from that end. If the ends have trouble sticking, try adding a little bit of puree at the end, or securing with a toothpick.
- Place the rolls onto a plate and sprinkle with dried parsley (optional).
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for a maximum of 2-3 hours before serving. It is best to serve right away. After some time the cucumbers will start to release water and become soggy.